1. Technology, the internet, computer and mobile applications have made it possible to deliver our services to anyone anywhere in the world. It also allows us to tap into and partner with service providers based anywhere in the world who work alongside us to deliver RMC's services. We live in a world in which we have access to many tools which we can use to perform services using online and offline resources and applications. There are multiple platforms which are used for communication and education (such as webinars) and we purchase and employ software licences which enable us to function efficiently from anywhere. These include office software such as Microsoft Office, computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools, accounting software, virtual meeting applications and platforms, and so on.
2. We focus on the delivery of projects rather than the need to be present in a particular location. Team members can work from any location of their choosing and are paid for carrying out specific tasks within a given timeline.
3. Clear and regular communication among stakeholders, including, virtual administrative coordinators, project managers, translators, interpreters, cross-cultural coaches, our accountant and legal advisors is essential to the successful completion of our tasks. It is essential to be very deliberate about the words we use, and to clarify our thoughts in order to get the correct message across. This is even more important when the majority of communication takes place by email, instant messaging and other forms of virtual communication.
5. Continuing professional development becomes necessary if you are working remotely as this means you sometimes have to solve your own technical problems and are constantly learning on the fly.
6. It is necessary to be organised. For all of our projects we have set up a register by service which contains information such as project type, project number, client, subject matter, receipt and delivery/deadline dates, delivery format, responsible person, etc., so that the relevant parties are clear on targets and responsibilities. Our calendar application also comes in very handy here.
7. Accounting records and documents are also organised monthly or every two months for hand off to our accountant for statutory payments (NIS and Health Surcharge), tax and other financial services.
These are some of the ways we are able to work remotely and continue delivering our services to our customers. How do you work remotely and do you think that companies should change the way employees work, not just because of this unprecedented pandemic, but because of other benefits that it might offer? Please stay safe and healthy.